Jon’s Movers, Inc. Moving Tips
Getting Organized - Packing:
- Start early - Almost everyone has more stuff than they think they do, and almost no one leaves enough time to pack it.
- Room Lists - Start by forming two room lists, one for your current place and one for your future place. This will help you manage what has to go where.
- Room Inventory - Go to each room and write down the types of things that need to be packed: furniture items, length of shelving, closets, etc.
- Time Allotment - Make sure to leave enough time. The most common timeframe reported by people moving is that it takes a month to pack. One study reported that it takes 4-5 hours to pack an average dorm room, so that should give you an idea of what’s involved.
- Calendar - Pull out a calendar and plan by day when each room will be completed.
- Delegation - If you’re moving with family members, agree with them exactly while tasks they will be doing and the date they will be finished.
- Track your progress - at least once per week track where you are against the date on the calendar. Revise your plan if you’re falling behind.
Moving With Kids:
- Get a children's book on moving for smaller kids. Consider “The Bernstein Bears’ Moving Day.”
- If appropriate, let children pick their room.
- If possible, let kids pick a decoration (poster, light switch, name banner, etc.) for their new room.
- Pack a kid's sized suitcase and let each child pick out a special toy to keep with them and a special outfit to wear on "new home day."
- If the child has a special dish or cup, include it in the kitchen "Open Me First" box so familiar items await them at their new place.
- Consider unpacking the kids' rooms first, or at least their "Open Me First" boxes to help them settle in.
Last Minute Reminders:
- Contact your local utilities provider to cancel and set up water, heat, and electricity.
- Cancel/set up new postal address.
- Create a layout or plan of the new location to determine where all furniture and boxes should go.
- Be available on the day of the move for inquires and assist the movers on where you would like your items.